Is it Weird Al or the Message Bible?
Our friend Tim Berry has directed me to a blog entry that presents a quiz. There are 15 texts and it is up to the reader to determine if the text is from the Message Bible or a John Mayer song. For those of you who don’t know John Mayer, he’s not a CCM artist. For those of you who do know John Mayer, stop chuckling.
I took the quiz and scored 10 correct out of 15.
This quiz is genius. Take it yourself here. The Message is a disaster.
So, I started gazing on the text of the Message Bible. John Mayer may be one comparison, but I think many of its passages sound more like another artist. So, here is my quiz for you. See how you do!
Is each passage from Weird Al Yankovic or the Message Bible?
1. “Don’t they know they can’t get away with this— Treating people like a fast-food meal…”
2. “Turned-around Jacob skips rope”
3. “I’m just an intern, I still make a mistake or two”
4. “Who gets invited to dinner at your place? How do we get on your guest list?”
5. “I hate all this silly religion”
6. “Forget that I sowed wild oats”
7. “I saw her today at the reception, A glass of wine in her hand”
8. “As I walk through the valley where I harvest my grain, I take a look at my wife and realize she’s very plain.”
9. “I just smiled at him and turned the other cheek, I really don’t care, in fact I wish him well”
10. “Join us for the time of your life! With us, it’s share and share alike!”
11. “The street-talk gossip has me criminally insane”
12. “Raise the roof!”
13. “Parties tend to break up when they find out that you’re coming”
14. “Working like a dog at the synagogue, he’s there all day.”
15. “Get insurance with God and do a good deed.”
Bonus Question: “Please, God, no more yelling, no more trips to the woodshed. Treat me nice for a change; I’m so starved for affection.”
To check your answers, go here!